Here are some tips for recording your own webcam and/or screen. This would be for PRE-recording a segment, and then uploading that file, not for going live in the moment.
If you are looking for instructions on how to record your audio and video
without screen capture, click here.
There are two methods we recommend using to record your screen, your audio, and your video together. Feel free to choose whichever one you feel most comfortable with. Though that's the deciding factor, there are other pros and cons as well.
For highest quality recording when capturing both camera and screen, you can use a third party software called 'Loom', among others. This is a straightforward recommendation. Additionally if you are only using Zoom to record yourself with PowerPoint slides, please see Self-Recording Using PowerPoint. Another option is to use Zoom, with which you are likely familiar.
Our instructions for using Zoom are listed below:
RECORDING THROUGH ZOOM
1) Open the ‘Zoom’ application. When open navigate to the settings menu by clicking the cog/gear icon in the upper right hand portion of the window.
2) In the ‘Video’ tab, ensure that ‘Enable HD’ is activated by clicking the check box next to the item. In the 'Recording' tab you see or change the location on your hard drive where local recordings will be stored.
3) Start a new meeting. Once you are in the new meeting, you can select your audio and camera source by clicking on the caret (^) next to the camera and microphone icons.
4) To begin recording, press the record button on the bottom bar and choose ‘Record on this Computer’. This will remove the names from the bottom corner of the recordings and will allow you to access the file saved on your hard drive after the recording ends.
5) To stop recording, press the ‘Pause/Stop Recording’ button. When you end the meeting, the file location of your recording should pop-up in a new window. You can also find your recording at the file path specified in your recording settings.
RECORDING THROUGH POWERPOINT
1) Open Microsoft PowerPoint and load your presentation. In the Slide Show tab at the top of the screen, select ‘Record Slide Show’ and select ‘Record From Beginning'.
2) In the window that pops up, you can select your camera and microphone by clicking on the ‘Settings’ icon
3) If you would like to view your notes, you can do so by clicking the ‘notes’ icon to toggle the view.
4) To begin recording, press the red record button on the upper left hand side of the screen.
5) A three second countdown will begin, and recording will start once the countdown finishes.
6) Once you are recording, present your slides. You can use the annotation tools at the bottom of the screen. If you would like to pause recording and resume at a later time you can do so using the ‘Pause” button. When you are finished recording, press the ‘Stop’ button.
7) If you would like to remove any recordings from a single slide or the full presentation to re-record, you can do so by using the ‘Clear’ menu.
8) When you are satisfied with your recording, you can save the PowerPoint presentation, which will now include the audio/video and timings from the recording. If you would like to export your recorded presentation as a video file, you can do so in the File Menu: Navigate to File -> Export -> Create a Video and select the desired video quality. Select a location to save the video file and the export will begin. Note that this process takes some time and you can track it in the bar at the bottom of your Powerpoint window.